In this crazy house, there is always at least one ziplock of play dough laying around! My boys love playing with play dough. We have a huge box of cookie cutters that I found at a garage sale that are just for play dough. My boys love to make snow men armies, it’s a boy thing!
A few weeks ago I was in the kitchen and I was cleaning out my spice cabinet when out fell a jar of cream of tarter. I could not figure out why it was that I had it, I really cannot think of any recipes that I use that call for it, except for play dough. That got me thinking… with all the essential oils that I have laying around I bet I could make some super good smelling play dough.
I searched for a few recipes and decided to take what I found and wing it, I knew that I needed a large batch. With three boys and their snow men armies there can’t be fighting over who has more dough.
Essential Oil Play Dough Recipe
2 cups flour
1/2 cup salt
1/4 cup cream of tarter
1 tablespoon essential oil of choice
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
2 cups of water
- Mix flour, salt and cream of tarter in a medium cooking pot
- Add water, essential oil and vegetable oil
- Stir over medium heat 3-5 minutes, stirring constantly
- When mixture forms a ball in the pot remove
- Knead until smooth, careful it is going to be warm
- Play and explore with this fun fragrant dough
- Put in a gallon zip lock bag. Ours usually keeps for two to three months.
I hope that you love this recipe as much as we do! If you make it let me know.